If travel and money was not an issue, what would your ideal day of eating be like? Tastebook asked Chef Katie Button (of Nightbell and Cúrate in Asheville) about her favorite food destinations.
From the feature:
“In Perfect Food Day we ask chefs and food personalities for their dream day of eating, where reservations can be made anywhere in the world on a single day. Indeed, they can bend the time-space continuum and globe-hop for each meal. And this they do!”
Chef Katie told them her ultimate choices, which are mostly in Spain. Since she is known for bringing authentic Spanish food to the mountains of North Carolina, this comes as no surprise.
“Straddling those two worlds is also how Button envisions her Perfect Food Day. Here she travels back and forth between Asheville and Spain, packing in some of the region’s greatest hits.
It’s these two inspirations (Spain and the American South) that inform her latest book: Cúrate: Authentic Spanish Food From an American Kitchen. Though named for her tapas bar, Button is quick to emphasize that it’s not a tapas cookbook. And most certainly not a tapas restaurant cookbook. All the recipes have been adapted with the home cook in mind, which means the small plates portions have been adjusted to suit the more typical main dish, sides, and salads setup.”
On her fantasy itinerary:
- Bar Pinotxoin the Boqueria market in Barcelona for breakfast
- Quimet & Quimet, also in Barcelona, for a morning snack
- Lunch at her brother-in-law’s xiringuito (beach bar), Toks, in Roses, Spain
- Back to Asheville for an afternoon snack at Wedge Brewing Company in the River Arts District
- Dinner in Roses at a seafood-centric restaurant, Rafa’s
- Dessert at Asheville’s French Broad Chocolates for their carrot cake, Button’s favorite
Read the full article for mouth-watering descriptions of each culinary stop on Chef Katie’s perfect food day.